Tips & Faq
In the Netherlands a sailing license is mandatory for ships that are able to go faster than 20 km per hour or larger than 15 metre. For our yachts these rules do not apply. We do ask our sailors to have documented sailing experience. If you intend to visit the tidal Waddenzee area, we demand several years sailing experience, with perhaps an RYA / CWO degree or instruction Coast navigation. It’s always possible to discuss this by phone. To be sure, there is also a possibility to start you sailing vacation with a freshen up course. Our instructor will take you through all the maneuvers and sailing techniques.
When renting a yacht at Waterland we will be able to fully support you during your charter period. All our explanation on board can be done in English.
The sailing area of our ships is IJsselmeer and Waddenzee. The yachts are equipped with charts and tidetables for these areas. If you plan to go England or the Belgium coast we provide a North sea package. This includes all necessary maps for this sailing area, jon buoy, extra emergency signals and a Reeds almanac. For this package we ask € 160,00 per charter period.
Reservation: how does it work?
Through our website you can choose the ship and the period by using our holiday planner and you will immediately receive our email if the reservation is accepted. We will email you the contract, inventory list and invoice by post and email. Whe require a downpayment of 50% of the charter fee within 10 days. The remaining amount has to be paid 14 days prior to departure by bank transfer. You can contact us by phone 7 days a week. We can give you all the details regarding free periods and possibilities.
Reservation costs are never charged, why pay for a booking fee when you are the one whoms booking? Our yachts are fully equiped and included into the price are automatic lifejackets, gennaker, autopilot and chartplotter with GPS
We charge no cleaning costs, we just expect you to bring the ship back in the same condition which we handed you the yacht. This means cleaned inside and scrubbed outside. If this isn’t the case, we are forced to charge € 75,00 for inside and € 75,00 for outside cleaning.
The only additional can be a cancellation insurance (we advise you to take!) and diesel for the engine.
You can make a reservation for all possible periods, however we prefer starting or end days on fridays, sunday or mondays due to our planning. Our base prices are weekly charters. If you have a specific preference for a date, please do not hestitate to contact us directly. General rule of thumb is:
- Weekends are charged 65% of the week price
- Midweek 55% of the week price
- weekend + 1 day 75 %
- week and weekend or mid week and week 150%
We ask for a damage deposit varying from € 350,- for the J/22 up to € 1500 for the Dehler 45. We ask you to transfer the deposit in advance or you can leave the amount in cash. We will return your damage deposit when you return the ship in good order. The damage deposit is also covering the yachts liabilty claim for the insurance.
limited damage deposit
We offer a insurance for a limited damage deposit. This lowers the damage liability deposit to €250,-. We charge € 16,- per day for this insurance. The limited damage deposit insurance is not valid when sailing regattas.
Getting to Waterland Yacht Charter
Waterland Yacht Charter is situated just 10km north of Amsterdam.
- By car, follow exit for the N247 on the ringroad A-10 of Amsterdam all the way to Monnickendam. Enter the city across the drawbridge and continue on untill the first roundabout, take a left towards the old city, first right and at the end of this road you will find "Jachthaven Waterland" where the charterfleet is located
- By airplane: Schiphol airport is very close to Monnickendam approximately 30 km by car. However, due to traffic jams we advice to use the public transport. Taxi's are an option, however they tend to be very expensive. If you take the train to Amsterdam Central Station and following the direct bus to Monnickendam its proven to be fast, comfortable and easy.
- By train or bus: Take the bus line 311 or 315 from Amsterdam Central Station. This will take you to exit "Swaensborch which is only 500 mtrs from our Marina.
Our yachts come standard equipped with:
- automatic life-jackets and life lines on board
- Every yacht has been equipped with a VHF
- Rigging will be checked annually and serviced by a professional yacht rigger
- The fire extinguishers are checked.
- Every 2 year the gashoses are checked and replaced.
It’s possible to rent an Imhoff breathable sailing suit with trousers and boots for € 15,00 per period.
Sheets & Linnen
Our yachts are not standard supplied with sheets and linnen. However, pillows are standard on board. We can supply a duvet with cover and bed sheet for € 15.00 per person per charter period. It is also possible to include towels.
Pets are, in their own interest - not allowed on board.
All our yachts are ORC measured and are able to take part in regattas. The following rules apply for competing in a regatta:
- A regatta fee of € 160,00 concerning complementary insurance
- The damage deposit cannot be lowered through a insurance
- A minimum of 2 experienced sailors should be on board
- With Ascension Day’s (NRW cup) and the 24-hours race we have the rule: only week reservations, starting from Monday
What's on board?
Everything you need to sail, navigate, and live will be on board. For all the details you can download the inventory list for the specific yacht. On board you always find:
- a dish towel
- floor towel
- coffee and tea
- salt and pepper
- Near the marina there is a supermarket, where you can buy your groceries,
- a local market is held weekly on Saturday morning from 8 o’clock in the center of Monnickendam
Getting on board
As soon as you arrive you will be checked in. This means that together we will make a tour through the yacht and explain how everything works. We start inside the yacht followed by the outside. We prefer that the skipper and 2-3 persons of the crew are present when this takes place. After that you can bring your luggage on board. When you find something which is not working properly, please let us know what’s wrong immediately, as we take great care of our charter fleet. During your holiday you can always contact us for consultation or good advice. In case of damage please contact us directly so we can help solve the problem. This also enables the next client to sail a perfect ship again.